View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 03:15 PM
ROLLGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryValve View Post
Hey Rich,

Couple of questions..

The rod bolts are Torque to Yield type of bolts. Did you reused the bolts and if you did, did you measure the stretch? When you re-torqued them, you need an initial value of around 35 ft lbs. Then you stretch the bolt with an additional 100° turn. If the bolts are not in spec, then you can get the desired torque.

Second, did you check the end of the oil pump shaft? If you are not certain the knocking was coming from #2, the oil pump shaft along with the helical shaft could be very worn and possibly make the knocking noise.

See pics of an oil pump shaft beginning to wear. Still serviceable for a lot of miles though.
This engine had less than 100,000 on it, and was run low on oil. I am sure it is #2 and only #2 that is the problem, as the knock goes away when the injection line is loosened. I can't imagine that the oil pump shaft would go bad that soon, or cause a knock.
Also, I have not checked the stretch on the bolts. I have been using the proper torque (35 ft lbs + 90-100 degrees additional rotation).