Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 AM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 14,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobenz View Post
put it in drive and go, the ice will melt
Agreed!
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'89 420SEL 168k - mine (OC-170,000)
'93 190D 2.2 - 223k - mine (OC-222,700)
'01 E320 Wagon - 149k - mine (OC-154,000)
'05 C240 4matic Wagon - 153k - wifes (OC-154,500)
'01 E320 - 162k - Dad's (OC-163,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 116k - dad's (OC-121,500)
'02 E320 - 193k - Brother's (OC - 192,000)
'09 E350 4matic Sedan - 84k - Brothers (OC-85,500)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 25,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobenz View Post
put it in drive and go, the ice will melt
yeah, um, that's not really an option on well adjusted ebrakes...
sometimes you can backup to get friction that will melt the ice. but forward is usually beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM
okyoureabeast's Avatar
Rogue T Tolerant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North America
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
yeah, um, that's not really an option on well adjusted ebrakes...
sometimes you can backup to get friction that will melt the ice. but forward is usually beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.
Seriously? There was so much snow in Ithaca this year and the temperatures were well below freezing. I've never had such an issue of the parking brake freezing. Heck even when I did some driving at 2am with the engine stone cold there weren't any problems.

What about cars that have a manual transmission? How are they supposed to park in the freezing cold???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Going back to the original post: "Can you get the vac to blow instead?" No. Vacuums are low pressure so they by nature "suck" and nature abhors them.
1984 380SL
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 25,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Seriously? There was so much snow in Ithaca this year and the temperatures were well below freezing. I've never had such an issue of the parking brake freezing. Heck even when I did some driving at 2am with the engine stone cold there weren't any problems.

What about cars that have a manual transmission? How are they supposed to park in the freezing cold???
I usually put it in first or reverse on a manual.
I wasn't saying it was an everyday thing, just in superfrigid temps, (waaaaay below zero) after driving through snow and such, the accumulated water can seize the ebrake. it happened to enough this winter that the announced it on the news in the south...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,070
method

On all of my cars, before going into park, I apply brake, move gear selector to N then engage parking brake. Finally, I move gear selector to P. Going out of P, I move shifter to R or D then disengage parking brake.

To my beautiful wife (married 16 years today) the above formula is more complicated than string theory. I usually have to walk her through it every time. She doesn't understand why we can't be like everyone else and just rip the gear selector like its a one-armed-bandit.

I don't want any strain on the transmission.

This pretty much eliminates wear on the selector pauls and bushings.

(That being said, I could park my 83 Crown Vic on the steepest hill or driveway and it would slide into and out of gear like buttah). Miss that old easy chair of a car. However, 8 mpg was killing me.)
__________________
2009 E320 Bluetec 108,000
1995 E300D 306,000 sold
1996 Ford Taurus LX 130,000 Sold
1985 300TD Still 225,000
2016 Ford Fusion 14,900
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 25,968
one of the guys I work with ALWAYS shuts down the car in D, rolls to a stop, and then puts it in Park after the vehicle is no longer moving.
hypermilers usually shutoff the engine prior to stopping as well... inertia don't burn any fuel!
I hate it when somebody uses park to stop the car from moving... ugh!

reminds me of the scene in The Terminator where sara conner slams it into park while reece and t1000 are fighting through the windshield...
NO WAY it would have stopped... or smoked the tires... it would've just gone BING BING BING BING over and over until they hit the wall...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
okyoureabeast's Avatar
Rogue T Tolerant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North America
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
just in superfrigid temps, (waaaaay below zero)
I think i'm going to have more problems than the parking brake in super frigid temperatures
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Going back to the original post: "Can you get the vac to blow instead?" No. Vacuums are low pressure so they by nature "suck" and nature abhors them.
1984 380SL
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
4x4_Welder's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
reminds me of the scene in The Terminator where sara conner slams it into park while reece and t1000 are fighting through the windshield...
NO WAY it would have stopped... or smoked the tires... it would've just gone BING BING BING BING over and over until they hit the wall...
A former co-worker of mine was driving carpool and was driving his wife's brand new boat of an Olds, RWD with a big v8 while his Mercedes was in the shop. His Mercedes had the four speed column shift, and the Olds was an automatic. At the top of the onramp, he instinctively went for third, and park did engage for a brief second before it sheared the rear of the trans case. Sometimes they do engage-

As for the original question- Shift linkage bushings. This is a known issue, I got mine with "transmission problems" because of these bushings, I drove it for a couple months then parted it out. Use the parking brake, if your bellows seals on the cables are in good shape there won't be any freezing problems.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 25,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
A former co-worker of mine was driving carpool and was driving his wife's brand new boat of an Olds, RWD with a big v8 while his Mercedes was in the shop. His Mercedes had the four speed column shift, and the Olds was an automatic. At the top of the onramp, he instinctively went for third, and park did engage for a brief second before it sheared the rear of the trans case. Sometimes they do engage-
did the car stop, or did it just break the transmission and keep rolling?
it will blow my mind if an american automatic transmission parking pawl stopped a fast moving car!!!
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page