Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
Maki is correct. The Prius is a unique-looking car; folks who drive one are able to say "Look at ME! I'm green!"
...Unlike MB, which has never sold a car on the basis of badge cachet.

Actually, I see half a dozen or more Priuses on the road every day on my way to work. They're starting to look pretty mundane to me.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,258
Turns out that, when they pulled the codes, daughter's IMA light was coming on because the battery was overheating, not necessarily going bad. Codes cleared and light not on....today. She also found out that it will NOT fail inspection in VA because of emission related lights. But certainly need to get the overheating things figured out....at least keep an eye on it.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 170k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 123k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 123k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 230k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
Maki is correct. The Prius is a unique-looking car; folks who drive one are able to say "Look at ME! I'm green!" OTOH, Honda's hybrid Civic (which I preferred when I rented it and later the Prius for a week each) looks like any other Civic plus the little "Hybrid" badge.

Jeremy
Using a unique platfrom makes sense for a hybrid because of the packaging needs of the battery pack. I bet it's accidental on the part of Toyota, but it's also brilliant marketing to make the car so distinctive because many buyers of the Prius do want to show off their green cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02isb View Post
some years back a guy in the tdi forums stopped in a toyota dealer to test drive a new prius. sales person gave him the keys and when he returned and said thanks but no thanks, the sales guy didnt even ask why or pressure him.

guy was leaving and couldnt help but ask why he didnt try to sell him on the prius, he was sure it was because he was driving a tdi. but to his surprise the sales person came right out and said he has never sold a pruis to someone who wanted a test drive first. the people who bought them, already had it in their minds they were gonna buy one no matter what!!

new pruis cars may be better and funner to drive by now though, i sat in a new volt while i was at the local chevy dealer and it was a very nice car. (didnt drive it) but at 42k its not worth it for the fuel savings alone thats my opinion.
They're not. Wife was due for a new car about a year ago. She dragged me to the Toy dealer to look at and drive a new Prius. We both hated it. Wrong side of $30K, not well equipped, cheap feeling, noisy, slow - there wasn't much to like about it. She couldn't wait to get out of the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Turns out that, when they pulled the codes, daughter's IMA light was coming on because the battery was overheating, not necessarily going bad. Codes cleared and light not on....today. She also found out that it will NOT fail inspection in VA because of emission related lights. But certainly need to get the overheating things figured out....at least keep an eye on it.
Or just get it inspected during the winter. I wonder if there is a cooling fan for the battery pack that has ceased to function?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Turns out that, when they pulled the codes, daughter's IMA light was coming on because the battery was overheating, not necessarily going bad. Codes cleared and light not on....today. She also found out that it will NOT fail inspection in VA because of emission related lights. But certainly need to get the overheating things figured out....at least keep an eye on it.
There's a company called Re-Involt that specializes in aftermarket hybrid batteries (mostly for the Prius). They have a list of recommended independent mechanics as installers, and one of them is in Virginia: Mac's Service in Ashland. Perhaps Mac would be an alternative to the stealership for your daughter if his shop isn't too far away.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
moon161's Avatar
Formerly of Car Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
I wonder if there is a cooling fan for the battery pack that has ceased to function?
Could be old filter on the cooling fan is plugged up. The escape has one.
__________________
CC: NSA

All things are burning, know this and be released.

82 Benz 240 D, Kuan Yin
12 Ford Escape 4wd

You're four times
It's hard to
more likely to
concentrate on
have an accident
two things
when you're on
at the same time.
a cell phone.


www.kiva.org It's not like there's anything wrong with feeling good, is there?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
They're not. Wife was due for a new car about a year ago. She dragged me to the Toy dealer to look at and drive a new Prius. We both hated it. Wrong side of $30K, not well equipped, cheap feeling, noisy, slow - there wasn't much to like about it. She couldn't wait to get out of the dealership.
You should try the 2001-03 model. It's a tin can that closely resembles Toyota's Echo. No cruise control. A 100-mile trip was agony. My spouse liked it, though (she prefers small cars), and I didn't need to mess with it much in the 80K miles we owned it. I did replace the inverter coolant pump and a couple bulbs, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki View Post
There's a company called Re-Involt that specializes in aftermarket hybrid batteries (mostly for the Prius). They have a list of recommended independent mechanics as installers, and one of them is in Virginia: Mac's Service in Ashland. Perhaps Mac would be an alternative to the stealership for your daughter if his shop isn't too far away.
Yes, I talked to them. They now make a battery for the Civic for $2595. Installation is $281.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 170k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 123k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 123k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 230k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
....very few think long term, and consider all the information. the massive footprint from MAKING the vehicles, and the short term life of the vehicle itself, requiring replacement of the vehicle when it begins to break down.
Reminds me of the study done a few years ago that found that a medium-size dog has a larger carbon footprint than an SUV driven 1000 miles a month! (All that's in involved in making dog food, transporting it, etc...) Love sharing that one with uber-green people with multiple dogs!

While we're on the topic, I also wonder about recycling. Has anyone calculated the carbon footprint of the recycling truck, SEPARATE from the trash truck, that drives around our neighborhood?
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 170k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 123k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 123k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 230k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: san marcos, Texas
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
While we're on the topic, I also wonder about recycling. Has anyone calculated the carbon footprint of the recycling truck, SEPARATE from the trash truck, that drives around our neighborhood?
you're looking at recycling from the wrong angle. look up the percentage of budget of your municipality taken up by garbage pickup and disposal/removal. with recycling, at least they recover some of that cost instead of your property tax just increasing.
__________________
1982 300sd from craigslist $800 greased on one tank with NO CONVERSION in the Hot Texas Sun. (currently dead & awaiting engine damage investigation and/or longblock swap)
new daily: '03 vw 5speed jetta tdi wagon. bagged&chipped
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 545
Prius - facts from cab drivers

In Canada, Prius are used frequently as taxis in many cities. I always ask drivers about their reliability and they only get rave reviews. I've been in several with over 400 or 500 thousand kilometers which have only had routine maintenance. The only complaint of the owner-drivers is the cost of dealer maintenance as there are very few indies with the equipment and knowledge to work on them.

I test drove a 2012 when I sold the 300SD and was not very impressed - a lot of body roll on twisty mountain roads and a great deal of tire noise. Front seats were not good for a tall driver, but that seems to apply to most Toyotas. In the end we decided we did not do enough annual mileage to make a hybrid pay off and got a Golg Wagon.

But the Toyota Prius does seem to be reliable and long lasting despite the comments of many folks to the contrary - none of whom seem to own one!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 14,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki View Post
You should try the 2001-03 model. It's a tin can that closely resembles Toyota's Echo. No cruise control. A 100-mile trip was agony. My spouse liked it, though (she prefers small cars), and I didn't need to mess with it much in the 80K miles we owned it. I did replace the inverter coolant pump and a couple bulbs, but that's about it.
I have driven a 2001 model, my father in law bought a broken one and put a used battery in it to get it back on the road. (used battery cost $1400, almost 3x what I paid for a complete OM601 diesel motor + trans) He's into it 2x as much $$ as my 190d conversion project cost me, and gets less MPG than I do....in a car 1/10th as safe....I've driven it, its "ok", generic feeling, no soul. And the engagement of the engine with the motor is far from seamless, its a very distinct jolt/additional noise. I am betting it won't go very long without more trouble, it already has over 200k on it and is rusting.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'89 420SEL 168k - mine (OC-170,000)
'93 190D 2.2 - 223k - mine (OC-222,700)
'01 E320 Wagon - 149k - mine (OC-154,000)
'05 C240 4matic Wagon - 153k - wifes (OC-154,500)
'01 E320 - 162k - Dad's (OC-163,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 116k - dad's (OC-121,500)
'02 E320 - 193k - Brother's (OC - 192,000)
'09 E350 4matic Sedan - 84k - Brothers (OC-85,500)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,926
Tonight I was following a volt and both me and my friend (electrical engineer) realized the taillights don't illuminate at the same time (!!!). Some guy probably did the math on the percentage or people who noticed the 50ms difference and calculated no financial difference. Woah though, totally noticed if behind.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,926
We are literally the first people on the Internet to notice this
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
I have driven a 2001 model, my father in law bought a broken one and put a used battery in it to get it back on the road. (used battery cost $1400, almost 3x what I paid for a complete OM601 diesel motor + trans) He's into it 2x as much $$ as my 190d conversion project cost me, and gets less MPG than I do....in a car 1/10th as safe....I've driven it, its "ok", generic feeling, no soul. And the engagement of the engine with the motor is far from seamless, its a very distinct jolt/additional noise. I am betting it won't go very long without more trouble, it already has over 200k on it and is rusting.
Sounds like something's not right -- but you probably know that. The transmission is not exactly a CVT but it should act like one, with seamless acceleration. We'd generally get 40 mpg to 44 mpg in mostly rural driving -- mileage would improve in town.

I see them on used-car lots occasionally. Dealers are still looking for $5K to $6K and up for them if they're in decent shape.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: st.louis
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sdToronto View Post
In Canada, Prius are used frequently as taxis in many cities. I always ask drivers about their reliability and they only get rave reviews. I've been in several with over 400 or 500 thousand kilometers which have only had routine maintenance. The only complaint of the owner-drivers is the cost of dealer maintenance as there are very few indies with the equipment and knowledge to work on them.

I test drove a 2012 when I sold the 300SD and was not very impressed - a lot of body roll on twisty mountain roads and a great deal of tire noise. Front seats were not good for a tall driver, but that seems to apply to most Toyotas. In the end we decided we did not do enough annual mileage to make a hybrid pay off and got a Golg Wagon.

But the Toyota Prius does seem to be reliable and long lasting despite the comments of many folks to the contrary - none of whom seem to own one!

and how old where they? its a fact all matter in the universe breaks down with time. you can take pretty much any new car and run it non stop and get 500k. thats how they test them at the factory. in general the faster you put miles on something the more trouble free miles you will get out of it.

15yr old car with 50k on it or a 1 year old with a 100k chances the 1 year old car will be more reliable or something like that
__________________
1987 300sdl
Engine 603.961
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page