Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,717
Begining to dislike Tram's assitant!

Decided to drain the A.T.F. - coolant mixture, and apparently Tram's assistant over torqued the drain plug so when I put the slightest force, it stripped out!

I thankfully had just undone the drain plug for the torque converter. Man what a pain, but the persistence was worth it!

Can most of the fluid be drained via the torque converter?

Once I get the pan off, how do I get the bolt out?

Thank y'all in advance!
__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Current project and hopefully by mid May daily driver.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Waiting on logistics to get to Texas.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriel View Post

Once I get the pan off, how do I get the bolt out?
Plenty of transmission pans do not have drain plugs. Just pretend you have one of the plugless types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriel View Post
Can most of the fluid be drained via the torque converter?
No. Take the pan off.
__________________
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 28,257
Beat is to get another AT Pan at the Junk Yard or buy another one.

If there was enough meat around it you could drill out the Pan Drain slighly oversized and tap it for a larger sized Blot. The trick there is if the threads do not go in straight the Crush Washer is likely not going to seal.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: taylorsville, nc
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriel View Post
Decided to drain the A.T.F. - coolant mixture, and apparently Tram's assistant over torqued the drain plug so when I put the slightest force, it stripped out!

I thankfully had just undone the drain plug for the torque converter. Man what a pain, but the persistence was worth it!

Can most of the fluid be drained via the torque converter?

Once I get the pan off, how do I get the bolt out?

Thank y'all in advance!
Best advice is: Stay away from oil change places and other national chains. They are too fond of air wrenches and most the techs have the IQ of trained apes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page