Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
More police bad judgement

Father tazed for trying to save 8 month old son trapped in burning house.


Father Tazed For Attempting To Save 8 Month Old Baby Son In House Fire - Infant Son Dies In Fire - YouTube!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,099
On the one hand, the rational part of me says that the cop may have saved the father's life. On the other, the emotional part of me wishes the the cop will get rear-ended in an older Crown Victoria for taking away even an 0.01% chance that the kid would live. Don't know which side to listen to here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Considering all the interactions that police officers throughout the country have daily . . . are the OP's subject posts du jour suggesting that there's a pattern?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,346
I like to think that I would be that intent on saving the life of my son. I think it would take a tazer to keep me from giving it a shot.

Last edited by Air&Road; 06-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 10,941
What would the headline have been if the police stood idly by while the father, presumably without any fire protection gear or breathing apparatus, ran into the house and died with his child? What would you have done?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
If the news media does the job they should do, this is a name you will hear soon.
Got a taste for Spam, Mr. B?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
Carter Hull
If the news media does the job they should do, this is a name you will hear soon.
And how, pray tell, does this relate in any way whatsoever to this thread?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
And how, pray tell, does this relate in any way whatsoever to this thread?
I believe that Larry is suggesting that Carter Hull be tazed by officers....
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
What would the headline have been if the police stood idly by while the father, presumably without any fire protection gear or breathing apparatus, ran into the house and died with his child? What would you have done?
How is that the point? Who cares what the newspaper writes?

The issue here is the right of a law-abiding citizen to make a choice about potentially sacrificing their own life to save another.

Would you feel the same if the tot had been in a raging river heading for a waterfall? Stop the parent from jumping in to try and save their child?

Granted, it's a no-win situation for the cop, but only because he made it so. He could very easily have just turned his back for ten seconds to check something out and if it came out bad he could have then said the guy ran in when his back was turned. No one would have faulted him for that. Instead, he forced the situation and then used force to ensure that he was "right" and that protocol was strictly followed.

As the thread title suggests, it's bad judgment, and I'd agree with that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbdiesel View Post
I believe that Larry is suggesting that Carter Hull be tazed by officers....
Works for me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
On the one hand, the rational part of me says that the cop may have saved the father's life. On the other, the emotional part of me wishes the the cop will get rear-ended in an older Crown Victoria for taking away even an 0.01% chance that the kid would live. Don't know which side to listen to here.
As my college First Aid class instructor would tell me, better one dead than 2. My math instructors also tell me that 2 is greater number than 1.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
The issue here is the right of a law-abiding citizen to make a choice about potentially sacrificing their own life to save another.

Would you feel the same if the tot had been in a raging river heading for a waterfall? Stop the parent from jumping in to try and save their child?

Granted, it's a no-win situation for the cop, but only because he made it so. He could very easily have just turned his back for ten seconds to check something out and if it came out bad he could have then said the guy ran in when his back was turned. No one would have faulted him for that. Instead, he forced the situation and then used force to ensure that he was "right" and that protocol was strictly followed.

As the thread title suggests, it's bad judgment, and I'd agree with that.
The key phrase is to "TRY" save his son. Odds of him getting out alive with the son alive is pretty slim given he has no training, equipment or calm detachment from the situation.

Fire. drowning, what's the difference? The principle is the same. If you are going to stop him from running into a blazing building, what is the difference between that and another case?

I think you have been watching too many rogue cop movies where the cop lies for the "right reasons". If you are asking a cop to lie "THIS ONE TIME" what about the next time or is the pass handed out on a "case by case" basis? Where do you draw the line for a cop to lie on his report? Are you going to say that he can lie if you agree with the reason? Are you saying he can be derelict in performing his duty for the "right" reasons, whatever and whomever defines what "right" is?

I'm going to disagree with that and the drama the clown tried to create after the salient information was given by the news channel.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 35,736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWijwmvGU4
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
The key phrase is to "TRY" save his son. Odds of him getting out alive with the son alive is pretty slim given he has no training, equipment or calm detachment from the situation.

Fire. drowning, what's the difference? The principle is the same. If you are going to stop him from running into a blazing building, what is the difference between that and another case?

I think you have been watching too many rogue cop movies where the cop lies for the "right reasons". If you are asking a cop to lie "THIS ONE TIME" what about the next time or is the pass handed out on a "case by case" basis? Where do you draw the line for a cop to lie on his report? Are you going to say that he can lie if you agree with the reason? Are you saying he can be derelict in performing his duty for the "right" reasons, whatever and whomever defines what "right" is?

I'm going to disagree with that and the drama the clown tried to create after the salient information was given by the news channel.
Who said I was asking him to lie? If he turns his back and the guy runs in, he's not lying, he didn't see him go.

I agree with you in the cold light of day that the guy probably would have died. But it was certain his son was going to, and if he wanted to roll those dice, it's not the responsibility of you, I, the cop or society to tell him otherwise. We're not him; we don't have the right to substitute our judgment and values for his.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 28,862
I could not watch the Video so I don‘t know if the Baby died in the Fire or not.

From what you Guys have said the Father did what he thought was best.

The Police Officer/Cop did His or Her Job and prevented the Father from also becoming a Victim.

Psychologically if the Father is better off the way it happened; had obeyed the Police Officer He would have blamed Himself for the rest of life for the Death of the Baby.

So the Father did what He though was right got tazed and now instead of blaming Himself for the death of the Baby can blame the Police. The Father now has nothing to feel guilty about.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page