Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
I finally got my 560SEL

I took the plunge. This is an `88 560SEL with 131k. It's already had the timing chain, guides and tensioners done. The rear spheres have been done and it's had a valve job.

I had Ben's in Austin check it out. A few minor issues to deal with, nothing major. The springs are shot in the drivers seat and the padding is gone in the console. The owner was a probably 6'2" and 300 pounds so no surprise there. Ben's has been servicing the car the past couple years so they were familiar with it.

We had perfect weather today in the hill country and I took it for a nice spin. Awesome drive and I stopped to take a quick photo which I've attached. I've owned a nice car or two over the years. None have felt anything like this big Benz much less cost me less than $4k.

I really appreciate all the great advice available on this forum and am looking forward to spending lots of time here. Thanks for all the help!

~Bill

1988 560SEL

Attached Thumbnails
I finally got my 560SEL-88560sel.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,318
Welcome to the W126 club! Nice ride! Wow under $4k!! That was a great price.
__________________
1999 SL500
1969 280SE
2023 Ram 1500
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 PM
jdc1244's Avatar
Read Only
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 170
Well done. She seems to be in good shape.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 167
Congratulations and hope to see ya out and about town in your new ride.

Chas

(Cruising in a smoke silver 420SEL with freshly resprayed wheels, no name chrome frames and no tint if you are looking)
__________________
Chas

Had a 380SL, 450SL, 380SEL, 420SEL, 500SEL

Got a Euro 500SEC right now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126nut
Congratulations and hope to see ya out and about town in your new ride.

Chas

(Cruising in a smoke silver 420SEL with freshly resprayed wheels, no name chrome frames and no tint if you are looking)
I'll keep my eyes open. You know how it is when you get a new car. Suddenly you spot every other car like it on the road.

I'm actually in Wimberley but get to Austin fairly regularly.

Where'd you get your wheels done? Or did you do `em yourself?

~Bill
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 167
Sent you a PM..
__________________
Chas

Had a 380SL, 450SL, 380SEL, 420SEL, 500SEL

Got a Euro 500SEC right now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
Welcome to the W126 club! Nice ride! Wow under $4k!! That was a great price.
Thanks! I'm very happy about the price. This one has a few more miles than the other local one I was looking at but having the timing chain and valve jobs out of the way is huge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244
Well done. She seems to be in good shape.
Thanks, she is. I need to repair or replace the windshield wiper fluid pump first because the inspection is due this month and they check that one. That looks like a good job for a newbie to start out on.

After that, I'll refinish the wheels and decide if I want to redo the driver's seat springs and cushion myself.

~Bill
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 103
Congradulation!!! Under $4K is a great deal. Mine is a 1991 with 102000 mile and it has exactly the same color as yours and I paid $5K for it this May.

Hopwever, I have been working on it ever since the first day and $1200 spent so far. Changing all the filters and fluid will run you about $300 DIY. Hope you will have better luck than me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenzWV
Congradulation!!! Under $4K is a great deal. Mine is a 1991 with 102000 mile and it has exactly the same color as yours and I paid $5K for it this May.

Hopwever, I have been working on it ever since the first day and $1200 spent so far. Changing all the filters and fluid will run you about $300 DIY. Hope you will have better luck than me.
I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of money on the car but this one has been going to the same MB mechanic I plan to use right on schedule. It's 600 miles away from the next one so it won't be long. I came in $1100 under what planned to spend for a 560SEL plus I'd budgeted $1500 for a timing chain job which this car has already had.

If it costs us $3000 a year to maintain a 560SEL, we're getting a far better deal than people driving a typical $20k new car on a 48-month car loan.

~Bill
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Jeff C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Changing the seat cushion (horsehair pad) and springs is an easy job. It takes less than two hours and all parts are available from Performance Products. I did both the drivers and passangers seat cushions and backs on my 83 500 SEL (Euro)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff C
Changing the seat cushion (horsehair pad) and springs is an easy job. It takes less than two hours and all parts are available from Performance Products. I did both the drivers and passangers seat cushions and backs on my 83 500 SEL (Euro)

Good luck.
Thanks, Jeff. And the Performance Products catalog for the Mercedes arrived the same day I bought the car.

Hows do the seats feel now? Are they firmer than you expected? I saw a few posts where people felt they were uncomfortable for the first year.

I'll need to do my driver's seat soon. It's already starting to hurt my back. The owner has the sheepskin covers on the front seats. I'm not sure if I'll keep those or not. The leather has some fine cracks which I know I can repair.

~Bill
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Central Kentucky
Posts: 1,069
My previous 126 was an '87 560SEL. Wonderful car if it has been taken care of properly. Change all the fluids every two years. Change the oil every 3k miles. Keep the tank filled with premium gas (ouch, I know). Replace the track rod joints when needed. Keep the front end aligned and set the tires to about 36 PSI. Car will go faster than most people (or the law) can handle. I really don't know how long the engine will last. Mine was running fine at 350k when the little girl totaled it. Probably somewhere south of 200k you'll want to replace all the rubber hoses and such in hte intake system, including the 8 fat ones betweenthe two intake manifold sections. Replace the injectors at the same time. Not cheap, but will make a big difference. You found a really good deal. Enjoy the car and ignore the fuel costs.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK
My previous 126 was an '87 560SEL. Wonderful car if it has been taken care of properly. Change all the fluids every two years. Change the oil every 3k miles. Keep the tank filled with premium gas (ouch, I know). Replace the track rod joints when needed. Keep the front end aligned and set the tires to about 36 PSI. Car will go faster than most people (or the law) can handle. I really don't know how long the engine will last. Mine was running fine at 350k when the little girl totaled it. Probably somewhere south of 200k you'll want to replace all the rubber hoses and such in hte intake system, including the 8 fat ones betweenthe two intake manifold sections. Replace the injectors at the same time. Not cheap, but will make a big difference. You found a really good deal. Enjoy the car and ignore the fuel costs.
Thanks, Bob. I haven't had to buy premium gas in years but, thankfully, I work and home and don't drive every day. I hope mine lasts as long as yours did.

~Bill

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page