Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 83
A few questions...w124

I went through with replacing my OVP today for a hot start issue I've been having. I'm not sure if the issue got fixed or not since it's difficult to recreate consistently but I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, I ran into a couple of surprises along the way.

1. On the driver's side, infront of the wheel well, there looks to be a rubber plug. I also noticed its a constant area where a little bit of water pools up. Seems to me that it should be a drain hole, but after cleaning things out the rubber plug is solid. Is it supposed to be a drain hole? Seems like a good candidate for rust to start. (picture DSC_0407.jpg)


2. The broken plastic clip was used to hold a bundle of wires to a screw. Since it is broken I'm not sure it is doing its job. Should I replace it? What does it do? (picture DSC_0426.jpg, DSC_0427.jpg)

3. There looks to be quite a bit of surface rust on the metal panel that separates the engine area from the battery / electrics area on the passenger side. Should I be concerned about this? (picture DSC_0429.jpg)
Attached Thumbnails
A few questions...w124-dsc_0407.jpg   A few questions...w124-dsc_0426.jpg   A few questions...w124-dsc_0427.jpg   A few questions...w124-dsc_0429.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
babymog's Avatar
Loose Cannon - No Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 10,767
I had an '87 124 that had some rust around that area behind the L headlamp.
__________________

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Cal Learner's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Marysville, CA
Posts: 781
1) I believe that the 20 mm rubber expansion plug behind the L headlight covers what was actually a paint run-off hole, but you're right that water accumulates there. In my 1988 260E, I pulled the rubber plug out to let the puddle of water drain after washing one day and the plug tore apart from age. As it was the original plug, the underside was completely coated with the PVC rust protection sprayed on the undercarriage at the factory; that made it rigid and brittle. The replacement part # is 113-987-00-44. Now when I wash the car, I just pop out the plug, let it drain, wipe up around the area (particularly the 0.2 ohm resistor for the aux fan) and reinsert the plug.

2) I can't identify these pieces from the photos, and you don't say where they are located in the engine compartment.

3) As for the surface rust behind the battery, I'm not sure what metal area that could be, b/c there should be just the plastic electronics cover there to separate the battery from the relays. It appears that at some point that metal panel was scuffed up and developed surface rust from ambient moisture. In any case, that rust looks so superficial that after 21 years I don't suppose it's going to be a problem now. I'd be inclined to just clean it up as best as possible, put a heavy coat of carnauba on the area and keep it wiped dry after car washes. That's not going to undo the rust, but it'll help keep it under control. Of course, if you're really worried about it, a permanent solution is obviously possible. Take it to a body shop for rust treatment.
__________________
1988 California version 260E (W124)
Anthracite Grey/Palomino
Owned since new and still going strong and smooth
MBCA member

Past Mercedes-Benz:
1986 190E Baby Benz
1967 230 Inherited from mom when she downsized
1959 220S Introduced me to the joys of keepin' 'em goin'

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world--those who understand binary and those who don't

Last edited by Cal Learner; 11-20-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
babymog's Avatar
Loose Cannon - No Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 10,767
I've found that the area behind the inner firewall, including the battery area, the area around the brake booster, under the blower, and around the electronics tends to collect leaves and other debris which can/will hold moisture. I clean twice/year including vacuuming under the blower and removing the battery tray.
__________________

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Learner View Post
1) I believe that the 20 mm rubber expansion plug behind the L headlight covers what was actually a paint drain hole, but you're right that water accumulates there. In my 1988 260E, I pulled the rubber plug out to let the puddle of water drain after washing one day and the plug tore apart from age. As it was the original plug, the underside was completely covered with the PVC rust protection sprayed on the undercarriage at the factory; that made it rigid and brittle. The replacement part # is 113-987-00-44. Now when I wash the car, I just pop out the plug, let it drain, wipe up around the area (particularly the 0.2 amp resistor for the aux fan) and reinsert the plug.
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up since when I was trying to figure out what the plug was I accidentally punched a hole through the PVC coating. I will make sure to inspect the edges of the hole in the metal and cover it up with silicone or something so I can take the plug in / out without wearing out the area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Learner View Post
2) I can't identify these pieces from the photos, and you don't say where they are located in the engine compartment.
The plastic part holds the bundle of wires that runs under the battery plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Learner View Post
3) As for the surface rust behind the battery, I'm not sure what metal area that could be, b/c there should be just the plastic electronics cover there to separate the battery from the relays. It appears that at some point that metal panel was scuffed up and developed surface rust from ambient moisture. In any case, that rust looks so superficial that after 21 years I don't suppose it's going to be a problem now. I'd be inclined to just clean it up as best as possible, put a heavy coat of carnauba on the area and keep it wiped dry after car washes. That's not going to undo the rust, but it'll help keep it under control. Of course, if you're really worried about it, a permanent solution is obviously possible. Take it to a body shop for rust treatment.
At first I couldn't figure out if it was surface rust or another colour primer, but it definitely looked like surface rust. It came right off with light sanding and I just primed it and painted with heat resistant spray paint.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
I've found that the area behind the inner firewall, including the battery area, the area around the brake booster, under the blower, and around the electronics tends to collect leaves and other debris which can/will hold moisture. I clean twice/year including vacuuming under the blower and removing the battery tray.

It absolutely does. I found a nice small puddle of water right under the battery and under the battery plate. There were also leaves / etc which if they start decomposing and get in the right areas will cause rust. I already took the blower motor out (to lube it but starting to squeak again so I will just replace it this month) and cleaned out the area. Same with the battery area. Slowly but surely I'm just cleaning out and replacing various bits and pieces. I'm surprised out clean some of the areas are even after 16 years!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page