Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 700
What kind of a bolt is this?

Hi everyone

I thought I had all the tools I would need to take my w201 completely apart if need be so, but I discovered a new type of a bolt, one which I have never seen before.

It looks like a torx bolt, but instead of the torx pattern being engraved in the round head of the bolt, the entire head is shaped in this kind of a shape. It's as if you took a torx bolt and turned it inside out.

What is the name for such a bolt? I have never seen a socket for this in stores.

I found these bolts on one of the half shafts attached to the differential, but only one, the other one has normal torx bolts.

Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 788
12-point socket? Perhaps?
'86 420SE Euro
904 Midnight Blue, Gray Velour
Dad bought it new, now I own it.

"A Mercedes-Benz is like a fine wine, it only gets better with age."
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:23 PM
bjcsc's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 672
It is a torx bolt - they are differentiated by inside and outside. The inside torx bolts are more common, but every now and then an outside torx bolt shows up. You can find the socket for it, they're numbered just like the inside torx sockets are, and look like an extension. A lot of older Audi's had outside torx head bolts. Maybe you could find a socket from an Audi dealer?
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D - stick
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,486

Yeah, these bolts are becoming more common. Newer MB's are loaded with'em. Valve covers, intake manifolds, transmissions, seats, etc. There's an old saying: "a guy in the car business has a brother in the tool business!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 700
Great, thanx a lot guys

maybe now I'll be able to take this thing completely apart

Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616
Those are called external Torx. The sizes for them are really weird, kinda like a "normal" Torx bit. The size for the external Torx begins with an "E", like E8, E10, etc.

Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 700
found them

they got a set at a near by store, never noticed it before.

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page