View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM
ROLLGUY

Airbag system fixed!

One of the challenges was to get the airbag module repaired, and I found a place to do it. Airbag Master Tech (Riverside CA) did it while I waited, and it cost $40. I then had a few codes that were current. I had a WSS (Weight Sensing System) code, and two "Ignition Squib" codes (first two photos above). I went to P-Y-P and got a seat base, replaced it and put the seat back in the car, and that fixed that problem. I had no idea what an ignition squib was, so I did some research. I found that the charge that tensions the seat belt is a "squib". I found that the rear left passenger seat belt was tight. I removed everything to gain access to the seat belt retracter. Once the rear seat and sail panel are removed, the antenna module (not sure exactly what it is called) needs to be removed to gain access to the seat belt holder bolt. A piece of foam under the hat tray needs to be pushed back to gain access to the seat belt retracter bolt. I found out the hard way: When using a unit from a parts car, you MUST tie a knot in the belt so it will NOT roll all the way in. If the belt is allowed to retract all the way, you will not be able to pull it back out again without taking it all apart. There are little plastic gears and other pieces that had to be re-timed in order to get the belt out to tie a knot in it. Once I got the retracter fixed, it was installed with no issues. I had to do the driver seat belt as well, as it's squib was activated as well. Once both belts were replaced, the codes were cleared and the SRS light is out! Hooray!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing airbags- E320 CDI-20180914_094411.jpg   Replacing airbags- E320 CDI-20180914_094430.jpg   Replacing airbags- E320 CDI-20180914_102948.jpg  

Last edited by ROLLGUY; 09-15-2018 at 04:44 PM.