View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 11:34 AM
ROLLGUY

Finally leak free!

I worked on the oil leak again, and finally fixed the problem! After THREE times of removing and installing the turbo, I found the source of the leak and fixed it. I actually could have fixed it WITHOUT removing the turbo!
The first time I removed the turbo was to look at the wastegate actuator to see if oil was leaking there. I realized that it was impossible for oil to get anywhere near there, so I assumed oil was coming from the turbo drain tube flange. I installed the turbo, and re-sealed the drain tube. It leaked again, so I removed the turbo once again to inspect it further, thinking there must be a crack in it. I found none, so I decided to check the flatness of the drain tube flange. It was warped, so I honed it flat on a sharpening stone with WD-40. I installed the turbo for the second time, and resealed the drain tube once again. But again, it still leaked. This time, I ran the engine and watched where the oil was coming from. It was coming from above the flange surface. I pulled the turbo once more, and was going to replace it when I noticed that the bolts for holding the center section to the compressor housing were loose! I tightened all four of them, and installed the turbo yet again. I got this turbo a while back, and it was said to be rebuilt. I believe that to be correct, as all the sections were not "clocked" correctly, and the bolts were loose. I should have assumed that the four bolts on the section that I did not have to change the clocking on were loose as well (because they were in fact loose!). The bummer about this entire deal, is that I could have tightened these four bolts WITHOUT removing the turbo!!!!
Well, the good thing is that I learn something new every day!.....Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Strange oil leak- from turbo wastegate actuator?-img_0477.jpg   Strange oil leak- from turbo wastegate actuator?-img_0476.jpg   Strange oil leak- from turbo wastegate actuator?-img_0478.jpg   Strange oil leak- from turbo wastegate actuator?-img_0479.jpg