Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
Where to find axle boots

Where can I find affordable axle boots for my w126?

__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Not sure, I just had a half shaft replaced because a boot was starting to fail.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North central Texas
Posts: 2,579
Search "Astoria FB3001".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
Yeah my cv joints are fine, but the rubber has de-laminated (cracked and now is leaking oil)
__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
Yeah my cv joints are fine, but the rubber has de-laminated (cracked and now is leaking oil)
So were mine, but I didn't know of a quick/easy way to just replace the boots so I just had the half-shaft replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
So were mine, but I didn't know of a quick/easy way to just replace the boots so I just had the half-shaft replaced.
IS that the complete assembly? I just want to replace one of the boots
__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
IS that the complete assembly? I just want to replace one of the boots
Yup, I replaced the whole thing. I wanted it completed that day. About $300 plus a couple of hours labor for a CVJ rebuilt part.

There are probably ways of just replacing the boot, but I didn't want to mess with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
Yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Yup, I replaced the whole thing. I wanted it completed that day. About $300 plus a couple of hours labor for a CVJ rebuilt part.

There are probably ways of just replacing the boot, but I didn't want to mess with it.
This seems to me it would be a fairly straightforward repair...Isn't this repair decently common on w123's and w126's?
__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
JimmyL's Avatar
Rogue T Intolerant!!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Texas (DFW)
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeydan View Post
Search "Astoria FB3001".
Actually Astoria FB3000. We have to trim the FB3001's. You can either get the boot on with a Flexx gun or with a lubed funnel.
Work that search function and I bet you can even find pics......
__________________
Jimmy L.
'05 Acura TL 6MT
2001 ML430 My Spare

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
WhoWhat's Avatar
Up in this piece.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clarkston MI
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
This seems to me it would be a fairly straightforward repair...Isn't this repair decently common on w123's and w126's?
Just did it. You can replace just the boot, or the entire axle w/boot, like Craig did.

Search for my thread ("reboot adventures"), which links to Toybul's thread on the subject of re-booting.

Enjoy.
__________________
1984 300D: 275,000 miles (soon to be for sale)

In search of my 1987 300D in anything but white.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 PM
WhoWhat's Avatar
Up in this piece.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clarkston MI
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyL View Post
Actually Astoria FB3000. We have to trim the FB3001's. You can either get the boot on with a Flexx gun or with a lubed funnel......
I trimmed the FB3000's too, just to make sure they wouldn't get pinched and leak.

Yes, rent the gun if you can...the funnel works, it just takes some effort.
__________________
1984 300D: 275,000 miles (soon to be for sale)

In search of my 1987 300D in anything but white.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
This seems to me it would be a fairly straightforward repair...Isn't this repair decently common on w123's and w126's?
Probably, but I was busy that day and wasn't looking for a research project. The car was at the shop on the lift when I saw it, so I just told them to replace it. Someone here has probably done it themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
ArrrrrrrrrG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhat View Post
I trimmed the FB3000's too, just to make sure they wouldn't get pinched and leak.
Yeah, what part is required to be trimmed? I'll probably by the flexx gun so I can have another tool
__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 PM
WhoWhat's Avatar
Up in this piece.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Clarkston MI
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
Yeah, what part is required to be trimmed? I'll probably by the flexx gun so I can have another tool
Probably not required, I just liked the fit better after trimming. The larger end of the boot was trimmed - down a few "ribs" until it was tighter around the can.

That Flexx gun ain't cheap...but if you want one, just be sure to rent it out to forum members.
__________________
1984 300D: 275,000 miles (soon to be for sale)

In search of my 1987 300D in anything but white.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Ian White's Avatar
machinemanjr
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhat View Post
Probably not required, I just liked the fit better after trimming. The larger end of the boot was trimmed - down a few "ribs" until it was tighter around the can.

That Flexx gun ain't cheap...but if you want one, just be sure to rent it out to forum members.
Yeah! I do indeed have quite an extensive collection...but I share

__________________
Regards,
Ian White

1995 E300 Diesel w124 OM606
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 5.3L

2001 BMW 740i E38 M62 (past)
1981 300SD w126 OM617 (past)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page